Blessed with hill stations, valleys, wildlife destinations, waterfall destinations and a number of such attractions Kerala to the south is one of the fascinating tourist destinations. The place mostly attracts the attention of the travellers to a greater extent with the rich greenery and the number of natural resources that the state holds in. The climatic condition of the state which stays moderate throughout the year is one other thing that grabs the attention of the travellers. Even after being a state with so much of potential in travel and tourism most of the travellers touring to Kerala find it difficult to explore some of the best travel destinations due to the high travel cost in the areas. This is true to an extent too most of the travel operators in Kerala charges a very high price for tour packages organised to well-known travel destinations of Kerala like the hill stations of Munnar, Idukki, Wayanad and more. The prices would be even higher during the top seasons which would be unacceptable by most of the domestic travellers. This is one main element that affects the growth of tourism in Kerala. But the state, being located closer to the Western Ghats houses a number of fascinating offbeat travel destinations with heart-warming beauty. With a cool climate and rich natural beauty, most of these offbeat travel destinations of Kerala are best options for budget travel trips to the south. Listed below are some of the best offbeat travel destinations in Kerala that tourists could explore under very cheap and affordable travel rates.
Located at a distance of about 61 km from the capital city of Trivandrum, Ponmudi is one of the best offbeat travel destinations in Kerala to the Western Ghats. One main attraction of the hills is its location which is very remote and is perfect for a nature escape from the loud polluted city. This is one main reason for the place to be included in the budget and cost-effective packages organised to the south. The place could be explained as one of the best hill stations to the south with rich green mountains, hills and valleys. With a number of small brooks and rivers, colourful mountain flowers and rare collection of birds and butterflies, Ponmudi is one best destination for trekking and a number of other adventures. With a number of fascinating and aromatic tea plantations, waterfalls and hills the place is one best destination for travellers who would love to enjoy a mountain life.
Best attractions near Ponmudi
- Golden Valley: A beauteous spot near Ponmudi with the fascinating beauty of golden sand, crystal clear water and rich green valley which is an ideal spot to relax.
- Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary: located near the Peppara Dam on the Karamana River the wildlife destination is known to house rich flora and fauna.
- Mini Zoo: Located at an easy reach distance from Ponmudi, this zoo is known to house a large number of Barasinghas which is one of the main attractions in the land.
Filled with all the beauty of nature, Nelliyampathy is a fascinating offbeat destination located at a distance of about 60 kilometres from Palakkad. Plantations are one of the main attractions in the land. The place houses some of the best plantations in the land which includes orange cultivation, tea gardens and bio-farming. Travellers from different parts of the world visit this destination not just to enjoy the beauty of the place and the climate but also due to the low travel cost. Most of the travel operators like Dream Holiday offers the tourist with cheap tour packages to this fascinating hill station in Kerala with an aim to promote tourism in the land. In addition, a number of adventure packages are also offered to the land. Being a place located to the hill station the place offers a number if adventures like trekking, camping, boating and tea plantation visits and more making the place a perfect destination for adventure lovers.
Best attractions near Ponmudi
- Nenmara: A fascinating village located at a distance of about 25 kilometres. The village is famous for the Nemmara-Vallangi Vela festival.
- Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary: Located at a distance of about 18 kilometres away from Nelliyampathy this rich wildlife sanctuary is blessed with exotic flora and fauna.
- Nelliyampathy Hills: Offering the travellers with a fascinating view of coffee, tea, orange and cardamom plantations at these hills is one main attraction of the place which is almost 2 kilometres from the city.
- Padagiri: Standing at a height of around 1500 meters above the sea level Padagiri is the tallest peak of Nelliyampathy Hills which is located approximately 3 kilometres away from the city.
- Raja’s Cliff: The cliff is one of the best spots where one could enjoy the splendid views of rich flora, fauna and awe-inspiring landscapes. Located at a distance of about 8 kilometres away from Nelliyampathy, the Raja’s Cliff lies at an altitude of almost 5250 feet above sea level. The place offers the travellers with the marvellous view of reservoirs, waterfalls, mountain ranges and forests from this spot.
- Palagapandi Estate: The estate holds in a charming colonial Bungalow which is one of the most beautiful spots in Nelliyampathy.
- Malampuzha Gardens: A literal paradise for children, the garden located nearly 33 km from Nelliyampathy is a must visit picnic spot. The children’s park, aquarium, mini zoo and toy rain are all the best things that attract the travellers mostly families to the place.
Most of the offbeat travel destinations in Kerala offer cheap and affordable packages due to its less popularity. With an effort to make these offbeat travel destinations of Kerala known among the international travellers the state government have introduced a number of travel packages and projects to make the travel to these destinations cheap and more facilitated. In addition, a number of accommodation facilities under cheap rates were also introduced and set up to attract the attention of the travellers to the place. One of the main aims of the projects was to grab the attention of the travellers to the offbeat travel destinations of the state and to make the place known to the travellers by offering them with some of the best attractions in the place and best-facilitated stay under cheap and affordable cost. With beautiful wildlife destinations, attractions and fascinating climate the offbeat travel destinations in Kerala are one of the best spots for an effortless and cost-effective trip to the south.